BREAD PROJECT: #8 - SWEDISH TEA RING

Monday, February 25, 2013

I would like to start by admitting that this recipe was one of those times that no matter how many times I read the instructions I just could not figure out what it was asking me to do!  The cutting and twisting part just didn't seem to make any sense and I ended up using a cinnamon bun type of cutting and standing up method, arranging them into a ring shape.  If I had done a little googling before I started baking there are many images of how it should be done, so next time I have it cracked!  Oh and there will most certainly be a next time, this bread was delicious! 
 


 

SWEDISH TEA RING

This variation on the traditional Swedish recipe contains orange.

  • 225g white bread flour
  • 25g un salted butter
  • 25g sugar
  • 0.5 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp fast action dried yeast
  • grated zest of 1 orange
  • 75ml warm semi- skimmed milk (2%)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 50g soft brown sugar
  • 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 15g un salted butter, melted
FOR THE ICING
  • 80g icing sugar
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice

METHOD

  1. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Place the flour in a bowl and rub in the butter.  Stir in the sugar, salt, yeast and orange zest.  Make a well in the centre, add the milk and egg and mix to a soft dough.
  3. Turn out onto an unfloured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth.  Placed in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film and place in a warm place until doubled in size. (About an hour)
  4. Combine the sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl.
  5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 38 x 23 cm.  Brush the melted butter over the surface, making sure that you go right to the edges.  Spread the cinnamon sugar over the top to within 1 cm of the edges.
  6. Roll the dough up tightly from the long edge, sealing the edge well.  Place on the baking sheet, making sure that the join in underneath.  Shape the dough into a ring and tuck the ends into each other.
  7. Using sharp sissors, cut almost though to the middle of the dough at 4 cm intervals.  Take each section and twist firmly on to its side so that the cinnamon and sugar swirls are visable.  Cover and proove again. (I did this for about 30 minutes)
  8. Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F.  Bake the ring for 15-20 minutes until golden then cool slightly on a wire rack.
  9. Sieve the icing sugar (I didn't do this as I feel life is too short to sieve anything!).  Make a well on the centre and gradually stir in the orange juice.  Drizzle the icing all over the ring.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tell me what you're thinking, I promise I don't bite!