My children have somehow got themselves into the habit of having a little bit of supper before bed. I have no problem with this addition to the bedtime routine but I like to make sure it's not something very sugary and silly! I am currently alternating between pikelets and Vanilla Drop Scones. Both can be made on a quiet day and I freeze them ready to drop straight into the toaster to keep my little bundles of trouble happy.
They are comforting to make and very comforting to eat at any time of day:
VANILLA DROP SCONES
1 tsp baking powder
small pinch salt
30g caster sugar
1/4 pint milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
METHOD1. First grease your frying pan - use a oil as butter will burn, and then put on the hob to heat.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and add the pinch of salt, and then tip in the sugar.
3. Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla together.
4. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, and mix to form a smooth batter.
5. Use a tablespoon to drop the batter onto the frying pan.
7. When the surface of the drop scone has become covered in bubbles get ready to flip them over.
8. Continue until all batter is used. Cool on a wire rack. I toast them lightly and butter them- delicious!